Posting Title: Programme Assistant, APAC, G4 (Job ID 191030)
Job Code Title: Programme Management Assistant
Organisational Setting and Reporting
The Regional Office is primarily responsible for maintaining continuous liaison with the States to which it is accredited and with appropriate international organizations, regional civil aviation bodies, sub-regional bodies and UN Agencies and programmes. In addition, the Regional Office ensures interregional coordination and promotes the timely and harmonized implementation of ICAO policies, decisions, Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and air navigation plans. The Regional Office also provides technical guidance and assists States/Territories in their implementation activities.
The Programme Assistant reports to the Regional Officer, Communications, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS), and Regional Officer, Aeronautical Meteorology/Environment (MET/ENV), who assign tasks, decide on priorities and evaluate the performance of the incumbent. In addition, some specific instructions and directives will be provided to the incumbent on particular tasks or complex issues, which may sometimes be referred to the Deputy Regional Director for decision, where necessary.
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Assists the Regional Officers with the management of meetings, seminars, workshops and similar events in terms of logistical arrangements, documentation, technical material, and follow-up actions, achieving results such as:
- Update regularly the registers of ICAO events (e.g., annual meeting programs, planning spreadsheets, office website lists, etc.), as necessary, to reflect the meeting plan;
- Organize and coordinate appropriately within the Organization, logistical arrangements, such as the meeting venue and audio/visual equipment requirements, and security screening and registration process for participants;
- Organize the launch of a functional website for the meeting;
- Prepare and issue letters of invitation, collect and preview meeting documentation, including working papers, information papers and presentations, and acknowledge their receipt, and compile the meeting report;
- Liaise with States’ authorities, regional bodies and international organizations concerned in relation to the preparation of meeting papers and advising, as necessary, on ICAO provisions;
- Maintain an efficient recording system of follow-up actions on recommendations made by regional technical meetings, including update regularly the progress of follow-up actions;
- Maintain the registration list for participants, including validate participants’ credentials as necessary;
- Monitor the delivery of events and address any issues without a delay to ensure that the objectives are met; and
- Conduct routine follow-up with meeting participants as instructed and on agreed-upon activities.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Assists the Regional Officers with the preparation and processing of amendment proposals to ICAO technical documents such as the Regional Air Navigation Plan (ANP) and Regional Supplementary Procedures (SUPP), achieving results such as:
- Maintain an efficient and up to date recording system for amendment proposals using the dedicated ICAO online system;
- Prepare draft State Letters transmitting amendment proposals to States; collate replies to the circulation of proposals and prepare draft documentation to be submitted to Headquarters;
- Undertake follow-up actions as necessary to ensure the processing of amendment proposals is completed on time;
- Prepare correspondence informing States of the approval of new amendment and the applicability date;
- Update regularly the status of records of amendment proposals; and
- Ensure the processing of amendment proposals and their approval follows the established ICAO process.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Assists the Regional Officers with the development of regional guidance materials, manuals and documents, and technical studies and surveys, achieving results such as:
- Assist with the design and conduct of surveys/questionnaires, including collect and analyse the results;
- Research references and other information required by the Regional Officers conclusively and on time;
- Prepare and compile accurately statistics, facts and figures, spreadsheets and other background material as directed;
- Compile and collate source materials for the preparation of draft revisions;
- Update various database resources, such as the list of air navigation deficiencies; and
- Update the regional guidance materials as directed and publish them on the official website.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Assists the Regional Officers with the management of internal and external communications, including maintaining contact lists, drafting and proofreading various correspondence and documentation, publishing content on the official website, filing and record-keeping, achieving results such as:
- Update regularly the contact lists for the various projects and forums coordinated by the Regional Officers;
- Ensure that communications such as State letters, letters, memoranda, emails, summaries of discussion, meeting minutes and reports, discussion papers and presentations, briefing notes and technical documentation are free from errors, accurate, complete and precise, and conform with organizational standards for style, design and content management;
- File all official records promptly and efficiently following established organizational record-keeping practices, including travel authorizations and travel expense claims, meeting and mission reports, discussion papers and presentations and other meeting documentation, technical documents, State letters and other correspondence;
- Receive, review, distribute and control incoming correspondence; identify complex or sensitive correspondence warranting special treatment; initiate searches for reference and other information considered necessary; draft routine correspondence and prepare notes, as needed; and
- Maintain information published on the official website to ensure it is up to date, fully functional and conforms with organizational standards for style, design and content management.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Assists the Regional Officers with the management of missions and attendance at meetings of other international organizations in terms of logistical arrangements, documentation and follow-up actions, achieving results such as:
- Compile and submit for endorsement by the delegate the Recommendation on attendance at Meetings of other International Organizations, and organize and monitor any necessary follow-up action;
- Coordinate the preparation and submission for approval by the delegate of the Request for Official Mission Travel Authorization (MTA), including the estimated costs and travel bookings;
- Compile the Regional Officer’s reference file, including all the required records related to the mission or meeting in question;
- Compile the preliminary drafts for the requisite reports (e.g., mission report, attendance report, executive summary report, etc.) following the established organizational practices;
- Coordinate the approval by the delegate of the final reports (e.g., mission report, attendance report, executive summary report, etc.) and their submission to the appropriate Bureau/Office concerned;
- Submit the travel expense claim to the delegate for processing, and organize and monitor any necessary follow up action; and
- Maintain an efficient recording system of follow-up actions on recommendations made by the mission or meeting, including update regularly the progress of follow-up action.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Professionalism: Good knowledge in office administration, communication and coordination tasks, maintenance of records and files, modern office technology. Strong computer skills. Good knowledge of commonly used MS word applications including, but not limited to, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of secondary school.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in office administration in a public or private administration is required.
- Experience in administrative policies, protocol and procedures of the UN or a large multinational organization is desired.
- Experience in dealing with high-level officials, government representatives or senior executives from States is desired.
- Experience working in a multinational and multicultural environment is desired.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
- Ability to communicate in the official language of the duty station.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.