SEI Asia, based in Bangkok, has a diverse team of multinational experts that integrates scientific research with participatory approaches to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and influence policy for resilient development. It focuses on gender and social equity, climate adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, renewable energy and urbanization.
SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University (CU), Thailand. SEI and CU have inked a long-term agreement to foster innovative scientific research combined with effective policy engagement on development and environmental challenges in Asia.
Currently, SEI Asia is looking for a person with a strong interest and proven track record in urban development research (including topics such as urban informality, urban poverty and urban climate resilience) who is knowledgeable in research application with excellent writing skills and passionate about communicating and collaborating with multi-stakeholder actors.
Position: Research Associate – Urban
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Deadline: 31 August 2021
Length of contract: 2 years with possibility of extension
The Research Associate will undertake research and development activities related to new and ongoing projects under the Urban Cluster with a focus on policy-relevant urban research in Asian cities. The Research Associate will participate in ongoing urban research projects, including urban health and well-being, urban informality and poverty and urban climate change resilience. The Research Associate will also play a role in identifying new funding opportunities and collaborations and be expected to work with colleagues from other teams in SEI Asia, including water resources, gender, climate change and disaster risk reduction, in developing cross-cutting work programs, as well as SEI colleagues internationally. The Research Associate will also contribute to other SEI-wide activities and projects as appropriate.
The Research Associate will report directly to the assigned line manager (Urban Research Fellow) and respective project leaders/managers that he/she/they is/are working for under the overall supervision of the Centre Director.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Work with Urban cluster and other SEI colleagues to carry out research activities for ongoing projects, including organizing and participating in data collection and analysis, stakeholder workshops and dissemination activities.
- Participate in research analyses and writing up research findings in peer-reviewed research publications and other project outputs such as policy briefings, project reports, blogs and conference presentations.
- Participate in outreach activities and interaction with media as and when appropriate, with support from Communications team.
- Participate in external meetings, workshops and conferences to support research and project work, network and raise SEI Asia’s profile.
- Cooperate with and support colleagues to ensure high quality and on-time delivery of project outputs.
- Identify new research opportunities and participate in developing project ideas and proposals for new initiatives.
- Gradually take on increasing responsibilities, including leading sub-projects, and managing interns or assistants.
- Respect, implement and contribute to development of institute policies, including environment policy and institute code of conduct.
- Contribute to office activities (staff meetings, team meetings, administrative tasks) and other duties and participate in training activities.
- Ensure assigned research and project activities are properly implemented to high standard.
Take responsibility for own administrative tasks such as travel reports and time sheets.
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong interest and proven track record in urban development research (including topics such as urban informality, urban poverty and urban climate resilience) who is knowledgeable in research application with excellent writing skills and passionate about communicating and collaborating with multi-stakeholder actors.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject such as urban planning, international development or other social science.
- Experience in social science research skills, including participatory methodologies, literature reviews, questionnaire surveys, interviews and analytical skills for both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience in writing up research, including peer-reviewed research papers, using appropriate referencing styles.
- At least two years of experience working on urban development research, with good understanding of urban contexts and trends.
- Experience on urban informality and/or urban risk and resilience and/or urban health.
- Experience of working with different stakeholder groups, such as decision makers, civil society organizations and community groups.
- Excellent English skills, both written and spoken.
Desirable experience and knowledge
- Understanding of gender and social equality, human rights, poverty alleviation and/or environmental management.
- Experience of fundraising and proposal development.
- Experience of managing projects, including ensuring timely delivery and budgeting.
- Ability to speak an Asian language an advantage.
- Experience of living and working in Asia.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong and diverse communication skills to effectively engage with different audiences.
- Proactive and self-motivated working style.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team as appropriate.
- Good prioritization and time management skills in order to work on multiple projects and tasks at the same time and meet deadlines.