How can you make a difference?
Provide support and relevant inputs to the Nutrition focus area in the ASEAN Health Cooperation based on the current ASEAN Strategic Framework of Health Development, including supporting the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition projects/programmes of the ASEAN Health Cluster 1 and the ALD-EAFM
–Provide technical inputs and direction in the implementation of regional nutrition programme activities, in consultation with ADR or Head of the Division, on regional health priorities focused on Promoting Healthy Lifestyle:
- Health Priority 1: Prevention and control of NCDs – selected activities related to nutrition
- Health Priority 7: Promotion of Good Nutrition and Healthy Diet
– Assist in developing programmes, projects and securing approval for their implementation following existing internal processes of UNICEF EAPRO and ASEAN
– Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of programmes and projects relevant to the nutrition focus area and in relation to the operationalization of the ALD-EAFM aligned with the governance and implementation processes of ASEAN
– Coordinate with relevant ASEAN Sectors/bodies and divisions in ASEAN Secretariat engaged or involved with the implementation of the Plan of Action of the ALD-EAFM, particularly Agriculture, Social Welfare and Education
– Coordinate inter-linked and cross-cutting areas relevant to the nutrition focus area
– Prepare information and advocacy materials on nutrition and coordinate with other divisions in ASEAN Secretariat for public dissemination/publication following ASEAN processes
– Liaise with the ASEAN member states and external parties on nutrition following ASEAN processes
Support and service the Meetings and other relevant events of the Health Ministerial and Senior Official Levels, Cluster Meetings, Member State hosted meetings and events on Nutrition, training sessions, meetings in other ASEAN Health Platforms and Platforms in other ASEAN Divisions, as well as external meetings
- Prepare the necessary nutrition-related documents required for various regular ASEAN meetings including agenda, discussion papers and drafting reports
- Act as a resource person and facilitator on Nutrition at meetings and trainings, with guidance from ADR and Head of the Health Division
- Assist the host organisation and/or sectoral/cluster chair in preparing for meetings and/or other special events
- Participate in meetings related to Nutrition of other ASEAN Divisions, including Agriculture, Social Welfare and Education
- Assist the ASEAN Secretariat and lead AMS in designing and preparing supplementary meetings and activities identified in relation to the operational framework of the ALD-EAFM, including a multi-sectoral high level symposium, technical consultations and trainings.
- Participate in external meetings relevant to nutrition, such as the UNICEF-hosted Nutrition Security Coordination Committee for East Asia-Pacific.
Support the relevant bodies of the ASEAN Community
- Provide necessary support in the implementation of relevant decisions / follow-up requirements from other ASEAN bodies/divisions in relation to Nutrition
- Coordinate and/or collaborate with other relevant bodies/divisions for harmonized or complementary activities related to nutrition
- Assist in monitoring compliance with agreements and the Operational Framework of the ALD-EAFM across relevant bodies/divisions.
Assist in producing ASEAN publications on nutrition and to populate the ASEAN Nutrition Surveillance System (ANSS) and nutrition scorecard
- Take the lead in preparing the update of the Food Security and Nutrition Profiles and ASEAN Nutrition report, to be published in 2020, in collaboration with the Head of the Health Division, the Member States, UNICEF, WHO and FAO.
- Liaise with ASEAN Member States (AMS), UNICEF, WHO and FAO to populate the ANSS and nutrition scorecard annually and to package the information for advocacy, high level meetings, publications and reports. Liaison with AMS follow the internal processes in ASEAN.
- In collaboration with UNICEF and the relevant divisions in ASEAN Secretariat such as those involved with ASEAN statistics, review the quality of the data submitted into the ANSS and facilitate additional analysis, technical assistance and capacity building as required.
- Promote stronger linkages between food security and nutrition data collection instruments in AMS, in collaboration with the Agriculture division
- Assist in producing and obtaining endorsement for various joint publications on nutrition with UN agencies and other ASEAN partners, including training package on Public Finance for Nutrition, guidance, tools, research, advocacy materials, reports and others
Support the Assistant Director and Head of the Health Division in undertaking substantive technical work on Nutrition
- Provide necessary technical and strategic input to the Assistant Director pertaining to the design and implementation of the ASEAN nutrition-related projects, programmes and activities including relevant advocacy initiatives.
- In collaboration with UNICEF, support a review of existing nutrition policies for maternal nutrition and early childhood nutrition (focusing on complementary feeding) in selected ASEAN countries and development of policy matrices and recommendations on ASEAN strategic frameworks for these areas.
- Undertake analysis of options for ASEAN standards related to nutrition, such as standard for national laws on the Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes (in line with WHA 69.9); maternity protection laws; workplace breastfeeding policies and health system breastfeeding policies; policies/standards on maternal micronutrient supplementation during pregnancy; minimum standards for nutrition content of pre-service curricula for medical/nursing staff; nutrition data standards; standard for national laws on marketing of foods and beverages to children; standards for fortified food and condiments; nutrition labelling, signposting, healthy or unhealthy food logos; sugar taxes, and others.
- Develop ASEAN standards/guidelines for those areas aforementioned that are decided to pursue – including the first set as part of the operationalization of the ALD, which includes the Code and restrictions on marketing of unhealthy food and beverages to children.
- Identify additional areas of strategic and technical engagement on nutrition
- Monitor policy, financing and evidence developments on nutrition at regional and international level.
- Contribute to documentation of ASEAN nutrition initiatives and the RISING contribution to ASEAN.
Perform other assignments as may be assigned to her/him
Work Schedule and End Product: Monthly activities accomplished and progress against the main tasks and milestones
Estimated Duration: 11.5-month period starting 01 October 2018 with possibility of an extension for a further 11.5 months
- Work experience within the core values of the ASEAN Secretariat
- Candidate must be an ASEAN national
- Willingness to work under dual accountability (ASEAN and UNICEF EAPRO)General requirement:
Education and work experiences requirement :
- Postgraduate Degree (at least Master’s Degree) in nutrition.
- At least eight (8) years’ experience with proven record of accomplishment and exposure dealing with nutrition programmes addressing undernutrition in particular and also overweight and obesity.
- High-level technical skills and knowledge in nutrition, both in terms of technical interventions and also policy development, advocacy and strategic communication, planning, capacity building, budgeting and financing, multi-sectoral engagement and governance, nutrition survey and routine administrative data, research, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated competency in problem solving, planning and the development of policies and procedures
- Experience and sound ability to plan and organize successful meetings, trainings and events, including high level and large events.
- Sound interpersonal skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings. Demonstrated ability to motivate staff, influence stakeholders and work effectively with people at all levels of the organisation and across multiple organisations. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with stakeholders and commitment to collaborative work practices
- Demonstrated sound and wide-ranging oral communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated sound and wide-ranging writing skills in English. Lead role in developing large publications with multiple stakeholders an asset.
- Competency in computer skills with sound knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook; statistics knowledge and experience an asset.
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV, cover letter, full contact information of minimum 2 references, availability, relevant example of previous work, and daily professional fee in USD by 30 September 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
** Re-advertisement: previous candidates do not need to re-apply **