Education: Bachelor degree or Master degree on environmental engineering or management
Contract type: Individual Service Agreement (ISA) for 1 year with the possibility of extension
Project Tittle: Application of industry-urban symbiosis and green chemistry for low emission and persistent organic pollutants free industrial development in Thailand
Project Duration: 5 years
Organization: UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organization)
Climate change has been recognized as a threat to Thailand, which was the ninth hardest-hit country by
extreme weather events between 1993 and 2012. Despite the efforts made to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG)
emissions, the country is the world’s 19th largest emitter of carbon dioxide (CO2) releasing 327 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) in 2013. This is evidenced by the Thailand Greenhouse Gas Management Organization Report (2000 – 2010), which breaks down emission released by sector. The energy sector was identified as the largest emitter of GHG, accounting for 69% of Thailand’s total emissions amounting to 80 million tons of CO2e in 2010.
In terms of the release of persistent organic pollutants (POPs), a report from Greenpeace International on the industrial releases of POPs and other harmful chemicals in the Chao Phraya Basin underlined the seriousness of the current situation. This is confirmed by a study that collected a total of 300 surface water samples in 31 locations along the Chao Phraya River and concluded that higher PFOS concentrations were measured in more industrialized and more densely populated areas. Following the washing of textile and electronic equipment after the coating process, the wastewater is treated in internal factory treatment plants equipped with activated sludge and anaerobic digestion process. However even though POPs are partially removed from wastewater, they remain in the sludge, presenting a hazard.
UNIDO has proved track record on Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP), and Thailand has
experience on eco-industrial town implementations in several industrial estates. By combining these solid expertise from two parties, the industry-urban symbiosis project plans to focus on three provinces chosen based on their economic structure to address the previously identified GHG and POPs issues as well as their root causes by applying industry-urban symbiosis concept and green chemistry technology. The proposed provinces consist of Samut Prakarn, Rayong and Chon Buri by focusing on the boundary that identified in the DIW’s eco-town master plan.
The project offers a holistic approach to reduce releases of GHG emissions and POPs at their source at factory, industrial zone and urban area level. The combination of proposed methodologies will encourage investment in technological solutions at three levels by applying a step-by-step approach: (i) within factories; (ii) among factories (eco-industrial zones), and (iii) between industry and urban centers (eco-industrial town).
Please see the GEF CEO Endorsement document for further information on the project.
The project duration is 5-year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Project Engineer shall be responsible in providing administrative support to the operations of Project
Management Unit (PMU) and ensuring the smooth functioning of administrative systems under the project
as well as providing the technical support to the project.
The Project Engineer assists the National Project Coordinator (NPC) in the development, implementation of the project activities and provides secretarial and administrative support. The duties normally include, but are not limited to, the following:
Concrete/measurable Outputs to be achieved
1. Maintain files of all personnel, consultants and subcontractors actively engaged in the project;
Smooth operation of the project
Bangkok and other locations with Thailand
2. Monitor and keep track of the meeting, workshop, seminar and training organized by the contractors, project partners and PMU.
3. Monitor and keep track of work progress carried out by the contractors and experts in the project, and promptly report any issues and/or problems to the NPC;
4. Maintain and contribute to the effective communication and network among the international experts, national expert, industrial personnel and project partner’s team;
5. Maintain and update the contents of the project’s communication channels for example facebook fanpage and project’s website.
6. Perform any other duty as assigned by the NPC. Administrative Work
7. Assist the National Project Coordinator (NPC) in management and coordination of the day-to-day operation of the PMU, including administration, accounting and reporting, if any;
Smooth operation of the project and PMU
Bangkok and other locations with Thailand
8. Supervise the procurement of equipment, supplies and sundries as may be needed in the project, in accordance with UNIDO guidelines;
9. Provide secretariat, administrative and logistic support to workshops, seminars and trainings including necessary translation/interpretation tasks assigned by the NPC;
3. Respect for diversity
1. Results orientation and accountability
2. Planning and organizing
3. Communication and trust
4. Team orientation
5. Client orientation
6. Organizational development and innovation
7. Proactive and self-initiation.
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in environmental management or engineering or other relative
Technical and Functional Experience:
• At least 3 years of working experience in project implementation work or environmental related work
for Bachelor’s degree or at least 1 year of working experience in project implementation work or
environmental related work for Master’s degree
• Skilled on the use of office software packages such as MS Word, Excel and Power Point, email,
internet and running of office equipment
• Strongly skilled in communication and diplomacy
• Good organizational capacity
• Ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds
• Familiar to government working culture and experience in the environmental related projects
involving industrial sector is advantage
• The Project Engineer shall be fully proficient in Thai (in both speaking and writing) and have a
good command of English (in both speaking and writing).
The potential candidates will be invited for taking the test and interview.