The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), an UN Refugee Agency, is offering a part-time position under Individual Contractor Agreement within the Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP), Division of External Relations in our Asia Regional Office based in Singapore.
Title: Outreach Officer
Duty Station: Singapore, home-based
Duration: 5 Months (working 3 days per week)
Contract Type: Local Individual Contractor, (NC-2/equivalent to NOB)
Closing date: 22 June 2021
Start date: 1 August 2021
The Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) service sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources to enable UNHCR’s refugee response programming around the world. As a part of the service, our colleagues in Private Partnerships & Philanthropy (PPH) raise funds from corporations, foundations and HNWIs against an ambitious target. PPH does this through its established network of fundraisers located across four regions (Americas, Europe, Asia Pacific and Middle East and North Africa) and the coordination and support provided by PPH headquarters unit in Copenhagen.
Reporting to the PSP Officer (Singapore), this post-holder will play a supporting role in increasing Private Sector fundraising income in the country, with a focus on generating leads and organizing relevant outreach activities.
The Outreach Officer (Singapore) will play a supporting role in increasing Private Sector fundraising income in the country, in particular from Private Partnerships and Philanthropy sources (PPH) i.e. corporations, foundations and High Net-Worth Individuals. The Outreach Officer will work under the supervision of the Private Sector Partnerships Officer (Singapore) and assist in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of PPH prospects and donors, with a particular focus on outreach and increasing the visibility of UNHCR amongst key target audiences.
The Outreach Officer’s primary focus will be to generate new leads in support of UNHCR’s fundraising activities in Singapore.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the PSP Officer (Singapore), the individual contractor will assist in the following:
- Implement the UNHCR PPH Strategic Plan for Singapore
- Engage in activities that help to grow the donor base in Singapore – this will include organizing outreach and networking events, identifying and attending relevant networking events, and establishing partnerships/relationships with relevant groups/ entities/platforms that provide access to new prospective donors;
- Communicate regularly with potential donors and other contacts to keep them updated of UNHCR’s progress of work and other relevant information;
- Explore partnership opportunities with individuals, foundations and corporations;
- Document relevant initiatives undertaken as part of fundraising efforts
- Update donor/prospects database on a regular basis
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
- Completion of University degree MA/BA) in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Political Science or other related discipline.
b. Work Experience
- At least 3 years of professional work experience with international private sector fundraising experience in a not-for-profit organisation or an international organisation.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written) in English.
- Excellent computer skills with Word and Excel.
- Proven ability to negotiate and secure corporate and foundation partnerships.
- Proven experience in organising networking events and meetings in combination with excellent presentation and communication skill.
- Provide ability to write, draft, and edit letters, appeals, reports, acknowledgements, briefings, and donor correspondence when appropriate and ability to explain complex issues to external donors and present the organization and diverse operations in an appealing and concise manner.
c. Key Competencies
(Technical knowledge, skills, managerial competencies or other personal competencies relevant to the performance of the assignment. Clearly distinguish between required and desired competencies)
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Experience in Fundraising/Marketing principles
- Good knowledge of the donor community and fundraising environment in Singapore
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills, and strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
- Working experience with an INGO in the humanitarian field is an asset. A flexible and outgoing team player with service-oriented attitudes.
- A good communicator with strong interpersonal skills to deal with persons of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Experience in marketing or communication/advocacy.
- Knowledge of UNHCR programmes and activities.
The successful candidate will be based in Singapore.
The start date is 1 August 2021. It is a part-time role working 3 days per week with working hours starting from 09:00hrs to 18:00hrs Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).