Mekong Institute (MI) is a regional intergovernmental organization of the countries of the Greater Mekong Sub-region (Cambodia, Yunnan Province and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, P.R. China, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam) established in 1996. The Institute provides human resource development programs and services to GMS government agencies and the private sector involved in various regional development and cooperation activities under the GMS Economic Cooperation Program. The Institute holds the distinction of being the only GMS-based training and research institute, owned by the six GMS governments, offering standard and on-demand human resource development programs with focus on regional cooperation and transnational development issues. The Institute is located in Khon Kaen, Thailand.
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND OPERATIONS
We are seeking candidates for the post of Director of Finance and Operations for the Finance and Administration Department. The position is based at Mekong Institute in Khon Kaen, Thailand.
The Director of Finance and Operations shall ensure that effective and efficient finance, administrative, procurement and logistics, HRM, and IT services are provided for all MI functions and activities. S/he advises the Executive Director and other senior managers on critical issues such as MI’s financial status and staffing strategy. Additionally, s/he is responsible for ensuring that all systems, policies and procedures are in place during the conduct of all activities.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Provide effective monitoring and analysis of the MI overall financial transactions, through certification of availability of funds for all project and administrative expenditures;
- Ensure overall systems and procedures are in place and in compliance to MI policies (including manuals, detailed work instructions, as well as MI’s accounting software) and are routinely followed;
- Monitor financial and accounting systems and make improvements as appropriate and in line with GAAP; and
- Ensure treasury management in accordance with MI and donors’ requirements.
- Ensure that procurement of goods and services is compliant to MI policies and procedures, including transparent and accountable management of vendor relationships, preparation of criteria for bidding proposals, and evaluation of tenders;
- When necessary, guide the Procurement Officer in interpreting and implementing the procurement procedures and activities as stated in the MI Operations Manual; and
- Negotiate and draft contracts/agreements for engaging suppliers as required.
- Manage the General Services Supervisor to ensure that all arrangements for office management, administration, logistical arrangements, vehicle fleet management and other related general services are implemented according to approved policies and procedures.
- Ensure effective and efficient provision of all necessary HR management services required by MI including recruitment, administration of HR systems, and liaison with finance regarding salary and benefits payments;
- Ensure that annual appraisals are conducted on time and all necessary follow-up actions are taken;
- Oversee the development and implementation of the annual staff development plan; and
- Provide the Director and Program Managers with strategic support and guidance on all staffing and staff capacity development matters.
- Ensure that MI’s IT hardware and software are kept up-to-date and working to full efficiency, and similarly, with audio-visual equipment;
- Ensure that IT staff provide all the necessary training and problem solving for staff to make efficient and effective use of all IT and audio-visual equipment and systems; and
- Advise senior management when system upgrading is required.
- Participate in Senior Management Team meetings and other activities;
- Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Executive Director and Directors of Program Departments;
- Provide necessary capacity development support to all supervisees in order to ensure they are fully competent to fulfil their role and tasks; and
- Any other reasonable task requested by the Executive Director.
- Financial management that ensures accurate and up-to-date management of MI’s financial resources according to approved policies, and provides senior management with essential financial information for strategic decision making;
- Procurement processes that provide MI with the best value for money when purchasing goods or services, managed according to approved policies;
- Administration and logistics management that ensures efficient and effective provision of support services for MI program activities, staff and guests;
- Efficient and effective HR management to support optimal program delivery; and
- Well-informed contributions about operational issues to senior and strategic management discussions and decision-making.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or higher in business administration, financial management, HR management or related field;
- Sound knowledge of internal control systems for all aspects of organizational functioning including administration, finance, procurement and HRM, preferably in an international organization;
- At least ten years’ progressive experience in operations management including administration, finance, procurement and HRM, preferably in an international organization;
- Sound organizational management expertise and proven ability to manage multiple priorities and make sound decisions while under pressure;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Proven ability to communicate in English in written and spoken form;
- Proven track record of successfully managing a multi-cultural team in an organization of a similar size, complexity and role, in a manner that encourages good teamwork;
- Computer literacy with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, and experience with financial and accounting management software;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, commitment to excellence, integrity, and results; and
- Have lived and worked in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, and Yunnan and Guang Xi Provinces of China).
- Knowledge of at least one GMS country national language
- Experience in an international organization