UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
THOHThailand Operations Hub (THOH) is a UNOPS business unit under the UNOPS Asia Regional Office and it was established to better support, develop and oversee the UNOPS portfolio of projects in South East Asia and the Pacific.
The Hub comprises three main portfolios –THOH Thailand, THOH Indonesia and THOH Pacific and provides a wide range of services including Project Management, Transactional HR, Financial, and Procurement to clients that include other UN entities, INGOs and governments/government agencies donors.
Seasonal peatland fires are now compromising Indonesia’s economic and social development by creating considerable threats to health, the environment, and the economy. In 2015 peat fires and their related haze resulted in the hospitalization of more than half a million people due to acute respiratory infections. These fires that raged through 2.6 million hectares of forest and peatland areas in the islands of Kalimantan and Sumatra released 1.6 Gts of CO2e, surpassing the annual CO2 emissions of advanced industrialized nations such as Germany, France, and others. Direct and indirect damages cost the Indonesian national economy an estimated USD 16 billion, about 2% of its annual GDP.
In recognition of the importance of peatlands for biodiversity conservation, water resource management, reducing forest and land fires, livelihood support for local communities and carbon storage, the Government of Indonesia through Presidential Regulation No 1/2016 constituted the Peatland Restoration Agency (BRG). BRG has an important mandate: prevent forest fires, especially in peatland areas, as well as restore 2 million hectares of peatlands devastated by forest and land fires. The Agency identified 7 target provinces for peatland restoration and fire prevention activities in Riau, Jambi, South Sumatra, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, South Kalimantan and Papua.
Since its establishment in 2016, Norway has been supporting BRG, as current support to the BRG by the Norwegian Government falls within the wider partnership between Norway and Indonesia established in 2010 through the Letter of Intent (LOI) to reduce emissions from deforestation and land degradation of forests and peatlands with USD 1 billion over the next few years. The USD 1 billion support is part of an international climate mitigation initiative (UNFCCC) supported programme that uses international aid to counter forest degradation in various parts of the world, and this is one of the largest ever contribution made to reduce deforestation.
In the framework of this background, Norway and BRG have asked UNOPS to develop a flexible multiyear administrative support mechanism for managing Norway’s financial support to BRG through the establishment of the BRG Results Enabling Facility (BRG REF). The mechanism has within its scope a back-office management component and a service, procurement, grants management and a delivery component.
A strong Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) function is an integral part of the Fund management structure and in this regard, THOH is hiring for the post of M&E Advisor. The purpose of this post is to coordinate the effective monitoring and evaluation of BRG REF’s work in line with its Programme Plan as well as to support BRG in ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation of its various projects and initiatives. Working together with the national M&E Advisor, the incumbent is expected to establish a conceptual framework for the M&E practice, provide leadership to strengthen BRG REF’s and BRG’s capacity, and to develop systems and engagement strategies to enable BRG REF to:
- Effectively monitor and evaluate progress against its Programme Plan, and regularly derive evidence-based data and information feeding into organizational and wider sector knowledge and learning.
- Enhance BRG’s capacity in effective M&E.
- Identify and collaborate on evaluation research initiatives of relevance to the sector as a whole.
- Represent BRG Fund in inter-agency meetings and high-level forums on M&E.
The consultant will be home based and will be expected to travel to Indonesia regularly. S/he may be required to visit any site in or around the country as required and comply with UNDSS requirements.
Reporting to the Head of Implementation Support Unit, who provides direct supervision and general guidance, and working together with the National M&E Advisor, the incumbent is responsible for the following:
- Design, implement and manage a system for BRG REF to effectively monitor and evaluate progress against its Programme Plan and related plans:
- Lead the design and establishment of a strengthened BRG REF M&E system, in collaboration with other BRG REF and THOH senior managers, staff and external consultants as required.
- Support the strengthening of BRG’s M&E system, in collaboration with BRG personnel, implementing partners and external consultants as required.
- Establish baseline data as appropriate.
- Support / advise on monitoring progress against the Programme Plan and its results framework.
- Advice on and continually revise and improve the BRG REF and BRG M&E systems.
- As required, derive evidence-based data and information from the above mentioned M&E system feeding into organizational and wider sector knowledge and learning:
- Lead / advise on compilation of data and information required for BRG Fund work planning and reporting.
- Lead / advise on compilation of data and information required for BRG Fund internal and external communications and advocacy products.
- Make available data and information required for BRG’s learning and knowledge management agenda.
- Support and train BRG staff and in-country partners to establish and implement an M&E system that contributes results to BRG REF programme plan.
- Support the development of M&E frameworks that are relevant to the national context while contributing to BRG and BRG REF objectives.
- Support partners in country to strengthen qualitative and quantitative aspects of M&E system
- Identify specific training needs and support in BRG REF priority areas that are line with country strategies
- Manage and coordinate BRG REFs work programme evaluations:
- Design and manage the overall BRG REF mid-term and end-term evaluations.
- Design and manage other specific reviews, studies and assessments of specific components and processes of the BRG REF’s work programme using various relevant/prescribed frameworks for reporting purposes.
- Be the client and supervise/coordinate activities of various consultants to carry out appropriate parts of the above M&E work programme.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Impact of Results
- The incumbent is responsible for monitoring progress and effectiveness across all BRG REF activities and expenditures in order to help BRG REF to deliver its outcomes in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- The Incumbent is also responsible for the design and management of specific outputs including internal monitoring systems and contributing to national monitoring systems as required
- The incumbent will also be responsible for linking outputs and outcomes to evaluation research in a strategic manner.
- The incumbent is responsible for capturing progress and achievement of BRG REF against all outcomes of the REF/programme.
- Excellent technical skills in socioeconomic research and programme performance assessment
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with diverse stakeholders and environments
- Demonstrated leadership skills fostering inter-institutional relations and strategic partnerships
- Knowledge and experience with the latest methodologies and developments in M&E
- Experience with results-based reporting, including logical frameworks
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in teams
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple tasks and complex work programme
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and learning
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Economics, International Relations, Public Policy Studies, Public Administration or related field required.
- First university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the above-mentioned areas in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Training in Results Based Management and/or Monitoring and evaluation an advantage.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in monitoring and evaluation including results-based management is required in combination with an advanced university degree.
- Minimum three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience at an international level.
- Experience in designing and managing monitoring systems for programmes and projects.
- Experience in utilization of various programme and project evaluation methods and techniques.
- Experience in designing and participating in evaluation missions.
- Experience in results-based reporting systems.
- Monitoring and evaluation experience in more than one country context, ideally in Africa and/or Asia.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects in the field of environmental management.
- Experience working with stakeholders at all levels-from grassroots and local governments to national governments.
- Experience in peatlands projects an asset.
- Experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Bahasa desired.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certification desired.
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-3
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performanceFor more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.